Discussion Questions for The Contract from Jeter's Leaders
This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.
- Derek has a very strong supporting cast of family members who support his dreams. Who do you already have in your supporting cast and how do they support you? What do you need in a strong supporting cast?
- What would you do if your parents made you a contract for your future?
- What future plans do you have that would make you want to fully commit to a contract?
- When you’re not at your best, how do you bounce back and accomplish your goals to be better than you were?
- How does Derek cope with the favoritism shown to Pete? Would you cope in the same way? Why or why not?
- Instead of studying, Derek’s mind constantly drifts to baseball. What are the distractions that keep you from doing what you need to do?
- Derek continues to play games with his dad despite his constant failure. Why is this important?
- Mr. and Mrs. Jeter had to deal with a world that wasn’t very welcoming to interracial couples. What kind of unfair situations have you dealt with in your life?
- Would Ms. Wagner be part of Derek’s supporting cast? Why or why not?
- Once when Vijay was getting picked on, Derek told Vijay that Pete was being a jerk and helped him through the situation. What situation did Derek’s mom help him through when he was getting picked on? How do you feel about the way she helped him?
- Does Pete succeed in bringing down Derek’s confidence? Why or why not?
- How would you react to someone like Pete?
- Why does Derek continue to play games with his dad despite constantly losing? Why is this important?
- Why does Derek realize that he shouldn’t be too disappointed about Pete winning MVP of the Tigers?
- How is Derek a leader to his Westwood Little League teammates?